Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recently used files won’t delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizdar

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
I’m on a network with most of my files in a personal drive on the network. XP Pro with Office XP Pro and all service packs installed.

Files that are recently closed will not delete for several minutes. I get an error (after 15+ seconds) telling me that the file is still open or being used by another user.

What’s strange is that I can rename the files with no problem.

I tried to open the task manager during this process, which then immediately closes the explorer window to that drive. (No office programs other than Outlook are shown running.) I can’t access the drive in explorer again until the error message is displayed.

Aside from a baseball bat, is there anything that can be done?

IF you boot in safe mode you will be able to deleate the files
nightowl17

The files will delete. But they have to be closed for several minutes first.

Try adjusting your down poll rate, in advanced settings on your network card. It is probably 8 by default but try changing to 64.

I have a similar problem, what does adjusting the down poll rate do (exactly)... debonairOne

"I look in the mirror and what do I see..."
dboneanime.gif

Similar problem, only after I install the Xp Pro Sp1,

What is the Poll Rate, I don't find it on my netword card advanced tab..

It's the interval between the card polling the network to ensure connectivity. Increasing the figure extends the time, decreasing the network traffic on the NIC.

I found this helped.

This might help you all out. I ran into the simiar problem. Look for this Knowledge Base Article on MS Site. Sorry I don't have it bookmarked, but this is the article number.

331519 - Network File Errors Occur After You Install WinXP SP1.

Hope this helps.

"D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back