Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recent Windows Update Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMob

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2001
GB
Hi,

Since Monday I have had about 6 Dell laptops report problems with Windows running excessively slow and hanging - particularly with Outlook. Some of these laptops are off-site and are nto connected to our domain.

I have attempted various fixes but the problem seems to be related to the wireless connection. When I disable that on an affected laptop and use a wired connection it seems to work. This issue affects people using home wireless broadband as well.

Has anyone had or heard of similar problems since the last batch of critical updates that went through at the weekend. Its the only common event for all these machines i can think of.

Thanks in anticipation

I did notice the patches for IE7 were so wide ranging that Norton wanted to create a new rule for IE7 to access the internet. So I would suggest checking the statistics to see if your firewall is blocking the laptops.

What version of Windows do you have on the laptops?

I heard there was a patch for W2k released recently which has caused a lot of problems.

Thanks to both of you.

ASG0856, this problem is affecting laptops who are using their own separate home broadband connection in most cases.

TobyA, All affected machines have Windows Xp Professional installed.

I thought that Microsoft released its updates on a Tuesday which if true is later than your trouble on a Monday?

See if there is anything here that might help.

Update to the new XP Wireless Client:

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

xp drops wireless then reconnects
thread779-941706

Wireless Connection and SP2
thread779-1271580

To re-install the wireless zero configuration service under XP, see:

Perhaps updates were partially installed. This cause me some problems on Wednesday.

I have a Dell laptop that worked fine in the airport Tuesday afternoon. The Micro$oft updates were downloaded but I did not install them. I shut down the computer, boarded the plane, and rebooted in Atlanta to read some PDF's. Shut down, went home. Updates were still downloaded but not installed. Next morning, serious problems.

Upon booting up, SVHOSTS crashed, which literally locked up the desktop. Could not do a thing. Cold booted, same problem. Cold booted, tried to use system restore, SVHOSTS crashes, locks up. Reboot in safe mode, system restore to Monday, reboots fine. Redownload and installed the updates, working fine since.

Don Phillips

We had the same problems with all our pcs and laptops, had to just leave them to get on with it and they all eventually came through the problem. Reckon MS must have changed the way the updates are applied????

Thanks to all that replied. It did seem to be that after downloading the updates the systems froze up. As IanCorst says I found that getting the user to install the updates seemed to fix the problem. very annoying but manage to get a resolution in the end.

Thanks for all your help - relieved it wasn't just me!

Thanks Kingmob. I did my updates and then did a audio hardware update through windows update. My sound was lost. Not until I removed the device and reinstall, did it start working again. I also gained an outlook icon on my desktop that I did not have there before

I've also found that the DNS Client service is causing similar issues, especially with DELL laptops (6 so far).

Just stopping the dns client service and disabling it seems to bring the machines back to their old performance without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back