Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recent change in A+ tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras262

MIS
Jan 23, 2004
US
Hi there. I was aware that the changes were coming. I received my certs last summer (both aplus and netplus). Does anyone know if we(2001 certified) need to take an upgrade test or do we get grandfathered? If we do need to take a test, do we have to go through the whole deal again or do we take some kind of an upgrade test? Please feel free to reply here or send me an email. Many thanks....

You own your A+ and Net+ certs for life. No matter how stupid and feeble-minded we become, we are certified.

That's one of the downsides of these certs. They really are not that impressive. Most higher-level certs require that you re-certify every few years to show that you are on top of things.

To be fair, the CompTIA certs are not designed to show that you are some computer whiz. Think of the certs as proof that you have passed the first year of a 4-year program.

Hi There Access.. Thanks for getting back to me. I always consider aplus and netplus one of those things that prospective employers won't talk to you if you don't have them and if you do have them they are like.. who care?? . Anyway have you taken the upgrade tests? Do you think its any advantage to? I am getting ready(in 30 days) to start m.c.s.e. 2003. I think that is the direction to take.. Any comments? jokes? etc??

I'd like to get MCSE or MCSA but I don't have a job in the IT field yet so it's hard to learn everything from home.

What upgrade tests are you talking about?

No real advantage to taking the upgraded exams. Your A+ & N+ certs are not dated so noone knows when you received them.

A+ & N+ are entry-level ceretifications. There is no sense in re-establishing the fact that you are up-to-date on entry-level skills. If you stop at the entry-level then the A+ & N+ might tend to loose value the longer you stay in the business. If you want to advance, use the CompTIA certs as a stepping stone to the more advanced vendor-specific certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back