Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recenlt retired Army guy needs IT advice on new career path 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

campanellisj

Technical User
May 2, 2010
US
My situation is somewhat complicated and I am in need of some real advice. I recently retired from the military and took a job as a goverment civilian. Over the last year I have worked extremely hard developing an Access DB that they are now using to account for over 2000 people. This DB tracks everything but it's not the reason for the post.

The post I am working for is getting ready to close and move to another location, unfortunately that is not an option for me. I have no certifications and no CIS degree, yet I am completely comfortable with Access. I understand the basics to Intermediate areas of SQL. I have even taken two additional SQL courses in the hopes of gaining more knowledge. But I have less then a year and I want to become a SQL Developer or some other form in the developer arena. The certs and paths are confusing but I would appreciate an insight into breaking into the IT areana. I have great skills from the military but none of which help in this area.
Which certs should I focus on as entry level? I was considering MCAS: for Access since I have intense knowledge on the subject, but really is it worth it? do employers care about Access anymore?
I am considering SQL 2008 Developer Cert 700-433...but am afraid I take the cert and have no experience to back it up. If that's the case what entry level positions can I expect to get?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, If I had the time to go back to school I would but again not an option. Less than a year to get certified and find a new job is it possible?

Everything and anything is possible ;-)

If you are comfortable with SQL and would like to move into development for SQL then I would go with the MCTS Certs such as 70-443, 70-448 and 70-443, these are all for SQL 2008

There is nothing wrong with working towards and studying for these certs even if you have no real world experience as it will show your willingness to learn to potential employers, just don't expect having the certs to net you senior development positions. You should probably be looking for junior database development roles. You also need to be open with potential employers and acknowledge that you lack experience whilst highlighting that you are prepared to learn and develop yourself by achieving those MS certs.

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Paul thanks for the support. I will continue to study for the 70-433 exam. I wouldn't dare to try for a senior position as I Probably wouldn't be able to BS my way thru the interview anyway ROFL
Thanks again

Yes, its worth going for the 70-433 exam. It is full of SQL code and there is an official Microsoft book for it to help you pass the exam. There is also a book entitled "The Real SQL server 2008". If you need more info on these books just ask...

Both books are very readable- like most techie books there are some easy bits and some more difficult bits. You can also get the software to use so you can write the code for the examples in the books.

Its best to read the books several times so that you remember it and understand the material in such depth that you can understand code samples in the exam-you wil not have the benefit of SQL software in the exam!! It is closed book.

Hope this helps

IT careers

Old post, but some useful info.

Military personnel have access to online course material for all CompTIA, Microsoft and CISCO certifications. This costs civilians roughly $1000 a year to subscribe to.

Along with Books 24x7 that has online books of ones you would normally pay $30-$60 for.

If you served and never had AKO, find a military buddy to sponsor you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back