Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving outside e-mail into exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlong07

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
US
I am running Exchange server for a small business (about 20 users), but we had decided not to host our own smtp server. Instead we are using exchange for its collaboration features but kept using our third party mail server. I currently have each local outlook client receiving mail from this pop3 server and delivering it into the exchange mailbox. This works great for local clients, but I want to be able to use outlook web access to offer users the ability to get their business e-mail and calendar from anywhere. OWA is configured and works great, but it is not able to send or receive e-mail because the pop3 connection exists in the outlook client and not on the server. Is there any way to set up exchange to receive mail from a particular pop3 account and deliver it to a specific mailbox without using the outlook client?

1. There are also less expensive pop3 add on s for Exchange, but I know and like this one

2. Microsoft Tech claims that Exchange 2003 supports POP3 email, but I don't know how it works.

GlennA
MIS

Has anyone used the exchange pop3 connector that is listed on microsofts site?

Is your third party SMTP server on site? If so, why not have it forward all incoming e-mail into your Exchange server and then have the Exchange server use your third party SMTP server as a bridgehead?

That should alleviate your need for a POP3 connector, and should be easy to set up.

-S-

Hi, I'm trying to do something similar.

Currently we use vpop for our email. It pulls all mail addressed to @mycompany.com from the ISP and organises it etc. Clients use Outlook to pull their individual mail from the vpop server.

We are moving to Exchange, but want to keep the ISP's internet mail. How do we integrate it with Exchange?

From what Silmeron says, I can forward it to the Exchange Server. Any clues how? I mean, the domain is called mycompany.local, so do I just configure each vpop account to forward to somename@mycompany.local.

And how do I set up the ISP's SMTP server as a bridgehead?

All help greatly appreciated.

Why not use outlook web access instead of your ISP's online mail???

Uses standard ports, you have access to all your mail (not just the new ones) and you can have a centralized contact list and calendar??

Very easy to set up if you are using exchange 2003, infact, I think it is installed by default.

You spent the money for exchange, why not use leverage it? You can also dump your POP accounts and save $$$$$$ per month.

Matt

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly.

We dial into our ISP with 1 id. This downloads all POP email to our mail server. The mail server then sorts it out to the proper email address.

Ideally I want to configure Exchange to access my ISP using this same account, and download the messages. I have seen mention of utilities like ExchangePop, and I will look into them. I just wanted to get a bigger feel for it.

Os essentially, OWA isn't the issue.

I do eventually want to dump the POP mail, it just isn't politically wise to do it at the moment, if you know what I mean...

Hi,

I'm new in the exchange world so I'm looking for online guids the help me setup an 2003 exchange server.

I currently use a linux mail server and we'" re going to migrate to exchange because of the features for collaboration and we use now office 2003 on the cliënts.

Where can i find the information the install from scratch. We use 2003 enterprise servers (AD) and 2000 advanced servers.

Regards

Jurgen

The easiest way to find out is to start installing on a test server. The setup process walks you through each step and provides loads of documentation as to what you should do.

Just make sure the test server is separate from your domain and in its own AD domain and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back