Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Mailbox Oversize Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

olclunk

MIS
Mar 8, 2001
US
I have a user that keeps getting out of space messages when the warning threshold is reached. The mailbox store properties via System Manager, reports the total size at twice the amount as reported from Outlook 2003 client. In gave MSOutlook a close examination of folder sizes which is half of what Sys. Mangr. reports. This user maybe using Outlook 2003 and cache mode, but I examined the mailbox myself via un-cached mode with same results.
Any ideas /clues would be appreciated.

Check messages in the Deleted Items folder within Outlook. Those messages count towards mailbox size in Exchange...

Been there/done that, as well as other folders. All default MSOutlook folders were zereod out except Sent and Inbox. Thanks a lot for your Reply.

Do you have a retention policy set in Exhcnage that removes items for the deleted message recovery. For example, Delete messages will be retained for 7 days.
To see where I am going with this, in Outlook click on Deleted Items to hi-lite it. Choose "Tools" menu "Recover Delete Items." A pop-up box will open and depending on your recover deleted itmes policy, you may or may not see items in the list. Items in the list are mail that is placed here when the Deleted Items (recyle bin) is emptied. These items do not count against the quota for the mailbox, but it may be why you are seeing the diffrent sizes between Outlook and Exchange.

I just found the answer,,,I reviewed the person's Outlook client again and discovered a couple of server-side Search folders and found to be very large, and had them to cleaan it out....Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back