Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Duplicates of an Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

drm184

MIS
May 25, 2001
US
I have a user that every time he tries to send photos of a job site to our client, they receive the email 3 times. He is normally sending it to 4 people at our client's organization. It is only for this user and only when he's sending pictures. My thought was that maybe it was with the configuration of the clients email server on how it handles multiple recipients, but then I found out that it's not on all emails, just ones from this user that include attachments. Any ideas? Is this on my end or our clients end?

FYI, we are using Exchange Server 5.5 and Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance for any help.

are you using pop3 or microsoft exchange client?

sometimes with pop3 if it takes a while to download, it might time out and start over again leading to multiple dupilcate messages...another issue with this is it may take a while to initially download and the user will get impatient and hit F5 or send/recieve and you'll get duplicate messages because they'll get downloaded repeatedly. to fix this, tell your users to wait till the sent/receive is finished before doing anything, and set the auto-send/receive to be more than 10 minute. There's a few other solutions also if those aren't the case, but those are the most common.

I have checked the timeout setting our end for sending the emails and it seems to be ok. I also don't believe they are getting impatient with receiving the emails. I could be wrong about the last part but I don't think so.

The best way to find that last part out is to emphasize to them not to hit f5 or click send receive. Also, when this was happening with my users it mainly occurred when they came in in the morning and opened outlook for the first time. It takes longer because it has to open up the program in addition to checking the mail. Also your users may "not recollect" clicking it, but when you tell them to be sure they don't the problem might go away. If you're sure that's not the case you might want to try turning on logging and see if it's your email server. And if the files are large, it might be better to set up FTP to transfer the images around, since email isn't designed to be a file transfer program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back