Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receiving Duplicate Email Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help quick. We have Exchange 5.5, SP3, Internet Mail comes in/goes out via SMTP. Several users are reporting they are receiving 3 messages for each external mail they receive. So when someone from outside the company sends email messages to these users they get the email 3 times. This does not happen to everyone. I've tested sending from hotmail to my account and I don't get the duplicates. I have tried stopping/restarting the Internet Mail Service. I've researched Microsoft's knowlegebase. This is happening for external email. Internal email is fine. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

Zoey,

Suggestion:

Select any problematic user.

Using his client send about 15 to 20 mails
to this test account

bounce@test.marshalsoftware.com (This will return an email with your original message attached.)

For every mail there should be only one reply.
Is there any pattern?
exactly 45 replies for 15 mails or is it random?
Anything different in message headers?

Any specific domains creating this problem?

Regards

LittleEagle,

Thanks for your reply. We have had several users complaining about duplicate email messages, accessing Internet, etc. We plan on rebooting switches and servers tonight to see if this resolves. Sometimes in our environment when we start experiencing these weird issues rebooting everything will clear it up.

I will let you know if this is the case.

Thanks

Hello,

I'm having similar problems with a client in a much different situation - small business with DSL/router and a W2k server with Exchange 5.5. I recently exported the contents of 3 of the employees' folders, and moved them to another office on a new W2k server. Now the offices are completely separate, but one of the computers at the primary location is now find he has triplets of new e-mails and sometimes 8-9x of old e-mails. His internet is down(which may be a completely different problem) so I told him to reboot. We are using the DNS on the W2k server for internet access, however I did put the SBC backup DNS in the bottom of the list in case the server was unable to resolve. This has only been happening since I exported those 3 mailboxes. Any ideas? I just told him to try sending e-mails to the test address shown above, but have not heard back.

Thank you.

I know in my case what resolved our problems was we powered down all equipment (I.E, Servers, Switches, Hubs, Router etc) doing a total power down of everything then powering everything up resolved our problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back