Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receive mail and sending mail slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

samworld

MIS
Nov 2, 2003
MY
Hi..

I had setup another mail server for internal usage, due to the current email system overload. I manage to up the sendmail running on Red Hat 7.1 ,accordingly but from client when they perform receiving and sending process ,it taken so long. Normally the sending and receiving mail process just take a few second, but this one take nearly one minute...

At the sametime i wanted to send email to current mail email server but it just won't work.... Please help...

Regards
Sam

Sendmail uses DNS lookups by default, so if you have any DNS resolution issues it will be slow as you describe. It may also be the receiving MTA trying sender identity lookups and eventually times out.

So make sure the DNS servers defined in /etc/resolv.conf can be reached and can resolve the domain names, else try adding the known servers like your mail server to the /etc/hosts file on both servers.

Also to avoid the the Ident issue set this entry in your sendmail.cf file to 0:
O Timeout.ident=0s

Hope that helps.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Hi...

thank for the help... it help..at the moment i still facing problem ,where it's hard to get this two email server to communicate... I try to perform load balance for my primary email server, so i configure this scondary email server with same domain name.it that possible..? or i need to have another domain name install..? please guide

Regard
Sam

Open your hosts file and make sure the host itself is listed.
Add a "." after the hostname of the host itself.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back