Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receive error 1010 every 4 seconds 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

awin2kcrazy

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
What is this and how do I deal with it? Can't seem to find anything on Microsoft knowledge base.

The Collect Procedure for the "IMAP4Svc" service in DLL "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\exprfdll.dll" generated an exception or returned an invalid status. Performance data returned by counter DLL will be not be returned in Perf Data Block. Exception or status code returned is data DWORD 0.

According to my notes error 1010 is "The configuration registry key is invalid." Either some software doesn't have a correct registry key or a key in your registry is trashed. In the first case, a key may be expecting a DWORD and instead has a string for example.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that they think I am now
qualified to do anything with nothing.

try this:
This event can occur when an application was uninstalled but references to its performance counters remained. Also, improper registration of the counters dll may have the same effect as well as corrupted dlls.
Suggestions from newsgroups: &quot;First, make sure the dll file exists, and exist in the proper locations. Once you've confirmed the location of the DLL, type REGSVR32 /U <DLL name> to unregister the DLL, then drop the /U and run it again to re-register the DLL in its current location. When you unregister the DLL, use the path from the Event Viewer. When you register it, use the path of the file in its current location. That should work.&quot;

Another newsgroup post provided a way to stop this error from occuring by removing the references to these performance counters from the registry:
Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services and find the mentioned service(s). There should be a sub-key called &quot;Performance&quot; and in it should be the offending DLL under 'Library'. I found that by just clearing out this key, the error messages stop.&quot;

Jani Hyytiäinen: This error appears also when the service start is set to &quot;manual&quot; or &quot;disable&quot; in the services. By setting the service to automatic will stop the error showing up. Like previously said, the registry entry for the service should be disabled if you need to disable the service, otherwise errors in the logs will occur.&quot;
Microsoft knowledge base - Q226494
Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

Thank you James and erans. I am working on your comments now. I also found reference to Q300956 may be helpful. In order to be extra careful with the registry changes and my impact on live email on this server, I am doing things overnight. Hope I have good luck!

Just wanted to close the loop for all readers. The corrections required by Q300956 were made over 13 hours ago. The machine came back up well and the 1010 messages have stopped completely. FYI: Q300956 does not say you have to reboot the server after the corrections but you do. Nothing changed until I rebooted. Also for the record, this problem occurred on a SBS2000 system.

Again, thanks for the two of you who contributed to the solution.

Hello awin2kcrazy !

I have exactly the same probleme with my SBS2000 Server. I would like to know if the corrections required in Q300956 rebuilt Performance Counter Library off all services ?? is it possible to rebuilt the counter of my ** only ** service that have a problem ??

I ask you because in the last part of Q300956 we can read &quot; Repeat Step 5 for each .ini file in the list &quot;

Thanks you for your answer

Will

Hi Will:
Good news - bad news. Good first: you should only have to rebuild the one that is not working correctly. I created some more problems for myself by rebuilding more than I needed to do.
Bad news: while doing all the work on this problem and monitoring it closely, got hacked over the Internet and damage done affected my whole SBS server. They got in through FTP - I left the 'door' open just a bit for a customer to drop some files. Well someone else found it open and made a real mess. Because of that I was only able to monitor things for a couple of days to see whether the fix worked.
MY ADVICE: fix one thing, back off and watch it for a day or so. If OK, fix another, then back off for a day or two and watch and so on. That way you have a chance to see if the fix helped you. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back