Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receive and Send Lights Blinking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstop6425

Vendor
Oct 21, 2006
US
I'm not sure why but it seems that recently (about 1 month) my Motorola SURFboard Modem (Model SB5101) has been blinking with those two lights listed above. Now its not all of the time but it happens quite frequently. Its always one or the other (receive or send) that is blinking and I have to mess with my cable splitter in order to set it straight. Is something wrong with my modem or is it possibly me cable into my internet that is messing up? I've tried changing the splitter and it does not seem to help.

the lights blinking indicate that you are not receiving enough rf signal for the modem to sync up. It may not just be in your house, it could be the way the cable is split outside the house. The modem needs the "cleanest" signal possible, so the smaller number of splitters between your modem and the cable demarc the better. Each splitter injects "noise" and the modem is set up to operate on a certain signal to noise ratio. So you need to start taking splitters out of the loop and get the modem as close to the demarc as possible, you may need to call your local cable company, or I can walk you through it on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back