Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receipients Could Not Be Reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjm65

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
I'm fairly new to this so my question is probably very basic. We are using Exchange 5.5 and all is working well so far. All in-house e-mails arrive as does all inbound/outbound over the internet. Our sales reps can retrieve their e-mail remotely over the internet, but cannot send e-mail. Again, locally all works well, and for instance I can check my e-mail from home but I can't send any mail.

When I try to send an e-mail remotely (from home), I get the following error message:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

rjm65@yahoo.com on 5/23/03 6:10 PM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=XYZ;l=XYZ010305240109LA2MJRAV
MSEXCH:IMS:XYZ:XYZ01:XYZ01 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

I'll use XYZ instead of our real info.

XYZ01 is the name of our exchange server
Our local domain is XYZ.
Our internet domain is XYZUSA.com

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymond

looks to me like your server believes it owns those internet addresses and isn't attempting to look outside. What's your DNS structure like?

I presume you are collecting your email remotely through Outlook or another such client.

You need to set up the relay on your server correctly.
You need to allow all clients that authenticate correctly to relay email.

Look onthe microsoft knowledge base. There are a couple of articles there that describe how to set up the relay securely.

If you wish to keep the relay shut, then get your users to use OWA

Darragh

I had this problem (sending to yahoo) hope this helps:
If you have two NICs in your server then switch the ip address and cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back