Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rebuilding unix_mp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtuser

MIS
Nov 4, 2003
US
It appears my unix_mp file has been blown away. Im new (oviously) to AIX. In HPux land I can just run mk_kernel. whats the equivalent command in AIX to re-create this kernel file?

thanks
JT

Can you do an ls -l /unix and post what you get?

this is the link /unix --> /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp.
The actual file /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp is gone however

You need to restore unix_mp file from a mksysb, or, if you have any other system with the same oslevel and the same architecture, you can simply copy the file.
Regards

Seriously... ? I can do this, but it seems odd that you can't re-build a kernel? How did it get built to begin with? What about tuning updates? How does the kernel get built then? There must be a manual build command somewhere.

Anyone?

thanks for the responses....
JT

hi ,

if you have deleted the source file i.e. in /usr/lib/boot/unix_mp , then you'll have to restore and link the unix file to this one under root and one under /usr/lib/boot.

IS anyone listening????

...it seems odd that you can't re-build a kernel? How did it get built to begin with? What about tuning updates? How does the kernel get built then? There must be a manual build command somewhere.

It doesn't get build. You don't need to rebuild the kernel to tune it.

Cheers

A significant difference between AIX and other UNIX systems is that the end user or system adminitrator does not modify kernel configuration files and therefore does not need to rebuild the kernel. All tunable parameters in AIX can be adjusted through the smit command ("smitty chgsys"), as well as the vmtune and schedtune commands found in /usr/samples/kernel.

Thats the answer I was looking for,
Thanks d.

jt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back