Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding partitioned RAID 1 array...partition first or not? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Howdy folks,

Still playing with my new rig (it's great to have a hobby!) and one of my pet projects is, in addition to regular backups, breaking my partitioned RAID 1 array and storing that disk offsite, and rebuilding the array to a third drive. I bought mobile racks for all my main drives just for this task. I am using an Intel ICH7 controller on my Asus P5W DH M/B. I have partitioned the array into 35 GB for Windows and the rest of the 320 GB 7200.10 drives for data.

I am the perfectionist type, and have studied Intel's guide to this controller. Nowhere does it mention rebuilding a partitioned array. Maybe that's just because it doesn't matter, maybe not. I like a strict set of procedures in line before attempting a project like this, and I'm not afraid to ask for help when I can't find the answer myself.

My typical steps in rebuilding a RAID 1 array:

1. Obtain an identical drive;
2. Format drive
3. Insert it in array, let array rebuild;
4. Boot to OS

Now Intel has a nifty utility called the Matrix Storage Console that allows for joining a non-RAID drive (their terminology for a new, unmarked drive) to an existing array within Windows. It's the way I'll be handling this first rebuild, because the documentation is so good.

My question: Should I create the partition structure on the new member disk before rebuild or will placing a freshly-formatted drive in the array automatically rebuild the partition structure? I had to fiddle with the partitions (35840 = 35GB) to get the structure the same but isn't there that little 8MB Windows hidden partition in there somewhere too? I'm starting to think the best course of action would be to format the disk into one big partition and see if it restores. Being the um, careful type I really want to make sure my procedures are correct before I "do the deed". Thanks as always.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony;

Never having used the INTEL controller myself, but being a veteran of Adaptec and 3Ware, you don't do anything to the new disk drive except screw it into the carrier and lock it in place.

The controller will automatically detect the new drive and do the following:

1. Format the drive so that the block size matches the remaining drive in the RAID.

2. Rebuild the RAID array using a BLOCK TO BLOCK copy; NOT a file copy.

Since it is copying full blocks from Disc A to Disc B, it doesn't care what files/folders are there or how the source drive is partitioned. If you watch it happen (yes, I have been that bored...) it copies 100% of Disc A to Disc B, which means it is even copying over the blank/empty areas.

Mike, The IT Guy

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Thanks Mike. My 3Ware RAID 5 controller works just like that, but I don't have any partitions on it. I guess I'll just delete the two partitions I've already created and plug it in and see what happens.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Mike,

The array is rebuilding as I write this. Thanks for your support. It's always nice to have a guiding hand the first time one does a new procedure (rebuilding partitioned RAID 1 array). For your future reference, the Intel utility was two-clicks-and-rebuild easy. Have a star on me!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks, Tony! I'm glad everything is working OK!

Mike

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back