Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rebuilding data file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

edfair

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
US
I am rebuilding a 122mb, 839k acvtive records , 64k deleted, 115byte record size file in an attempt to regain space. I end up with a 126mb file that reports the correct number of records. Am I overlooking something? This under vutil v 4.0.0. Just doesn't seem right that I purge 8% and rebuild to get a 3% larger data file. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Is it possible that the file was originally compressed and
when you rebuilt it, you removed the compression? Here is part of the manual that talks about the different vision files and the compression option.

Ted

===================================================

The "-4" option causes vutil to rebuild the file using the latest Vision file format (Version 4). Version 4 files are built in a dual file format, which has a file's data records stored in one file segment and overhead key information stored in another. The "-3" option causes vutil to use the Vision Version 3 file format, which is a single file format. Data and key information are stored in the same file. The "-2" option causes it to use the Vision Version 2 file format. If no version number is specified, the file is rebuilt with the file's own existing format.

The "-c" option removes record compression from the file. The "+c" option adds record compression to the file. The "+e" option adds record encryption. It is not possible to remove record encryption (this would make encryption pointless). Note that record compression and encryption may be added to a file, and compression may be removed from a file, regardless of the presence or absence of the WITH COMPRESSION and WITH ENCRYPTION phrases in the file's SELECT.

Files were all -3 rebuild as specified by the software support people.
I'm still waiting on them to come up with some reasonable answers.
Thank you for the information. Since the file problem is repeatable with minor effort I will probably experiment to see what happens with compression. Anything to regain space so I don't have to move files to make room for a rebuild. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back