Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding all servers (PDC,BDC,Exc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcab

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
I am about to upgrade all servers in our network. Is it possible to build a bdc, promote it to a pdc, and once the original is taken off line, rename it to the original pdc? Will it cause conflicts at all?
thank you.
drcab

It would be preferable to promote an existing BDC to PDC, remove the old PDC from the domain via Server Manager, then do the rebuild/reinstall using the old PDC name, install as a BDC, then promote it to PDC when you are finished.

I wouldn't do what you are proposing. Jaeddy's got the best idea. Make sure that when you take the old PDC out of your network, you remove the name from Server Manager and WINS. That makes sure that when you bring another system online and use the same name, you won't have any weird conflicts and problems.

ShackDaddy

Thank you, we are (still) waiting on our servers to arrive. I will let you all know how it went. Total of 7 servers to be replaced so it is bound to be loads of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back