Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuilding a PC with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
I have a cheap dell with Windows 7. I want to build my on tower and use my Dell Windows 7 CD and license number for the new one and probably reload this cheap one with an old XP licenses for my kid.
He said that it wouldn't work unless I loaded to another Dell because the license would expire and not be renewable becuase of the Dell installation CD.
Is this true?

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Expire? not likely. Actually work on a system that's not Dell? That's debatable.

Unless the install CD is a full retail version and not an OEM CD that's linked to a Dell system it may not work

Though you can always try and install, if the installation goes through, without complaining about the new machine not being a Dell, you should be able to use your KEY to activate Windows.

If it complains, that's all it will do; you won't be able to progress with the installation, but nothing will happen to your license or key.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Dell reinstall CDs will only work on Dells - it will tell you that as soon as you start them.

I have a Dell reinstall CD from a few years ago (yes its an XP CD), and it works on my custom built PC, and on my Compaq Laptop. It will initiate the install fine, and ask for the CD Key etc..

Yes while probably some will not let you install, there are exceptions out there. Which is why I did not want to completely discount the possibility.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Just to be clear, even if you can get it to install and activate you can't legally use an OEM licence key (which the Dell one probably is) on any machine apart from the one it was first activated on.

Just so you know!

Regards

Nelviticus

Nelvitcus,

Why not? I paid for it. Didn' I?

You are probably correct just want an explanation of why that is.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

It's just a licensing thing - Microsoft sell OEM licences to system manufacturers more cheaply than they sell retail licences because the OEM ones come with the restriction that they can only be used on one machine.

This old FAQ was written with XP in mind but it explains a bit more about the difference between an OEM licence and a retail one:
faq779-4004

When it comes to activation, you may well find that your OEM key won't activate on a PC other than the one it came with.

Regards

Nelviticus

OEM cd\dvd's generally have an OEM activation key hard coded into it, it checks the BIOS and if it finds the right key it will install without prompting for a license key.

The problem with the Dell dvd is that yes, you did purchase it.. for use on the Dell, that license belongs to the Dell and whether that Dell goes pop or not that license generally can't be transferred off it.

Unfortunately if you want to install Win7 onto your own build machine you will have to purchase a license for it, probably the same for XP onto the Dell unless you have downgrade rights or it's a retail copy and you have only installed it on that laptop and nothing else.

MCTS:Windows 7
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Administrator
MCTS:System Center Configuration Manager 2007
MCSE:Security 2003
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back