Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rebuilding a compaq evo 1020v notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skibs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2000
GB
i get the error message operating system not found whenever i boot from cd. Trying to run the rebuild disks....

any thoughts?
reply here and to peter.taylor@rocol.com

many thanks

You sure the disc is bootable?
Suspect the bootable image is not added to your disc.

yeah..
i'm using the compaq rebuild disks...and the os disks...they should al be bootable.

How do you re-build?
Copy to hdd and burn to another disc? Or disc to disc copy?
If you said yes to the former method, you may have not include the bootable image in your new disc.

You could use this software, ISOBuster, to determine whether the boot image is present... should be something like boot.img or Microsoft Corporation.img

Skibs,
What error message do you get when you boot from the hard drive. If you are trying to use the restore disks then I am assuming you have problems and need to Restore the system.
Perhaps the reason you are getting the message with the cd is because you need to change the boot order in the bios so it can bott from the cd. Does the Restore CD belong to that model notebook?

you get the message: "operating system not found" which is not the same as a non bootable system disk (invalid system disk). It sounds like the system is booting up, but then can't find the operating system. Can you not boot up normally from the hard drive?

many thanks for the replies....i,m using the rebuild cd's to rebuild a pc which came back from the users running very slowly with some corrupt programmes. the pc crashed during the initial rebuild and has complained ever since!

Skibs,
I would try it again using a different known working CDRom drive. The existing CDRom drive may have been failing which would cause the systen to run very slowly and may have finally died during the initial rebuild from extensive use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back