Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuild PC with restore cd, which one\?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a number of pcs from the same manufacturer.

I have a number of reinstall cds for the pcs but not sure which cd goes with which pc.

I know the product keys used in each machine through using Belarc Advisor.

I want to rebuild a few of the machines using the restore cds. Does it matter which cd i use?

If the PCs are from the same vendor it probably won't matter until you need drivers. If the PCs are very similar in build you might not have any issues at all. Try them all and have fun!!

Drivers werent really a worry, was thinking more along the lines of licensing. E.g. if used a cd to rebuild a machine that had been used for another one would they not get the same product key?

The main question here is do you have a VLK.
If not and the OS is OEM. OEM software differs from retail version software in that it is only ever shipped pre-installed onto a machine. OEM does not allow the user to install that copy of the software onto another machine, under any circumstances. Which means you will need the correct disk especially if your product has been activated. If it's DSP you have the same problem.
Or you could backup the activation files first then install any version with the correct key and restore the files.

OK. Not volume licensing and dunno what DSP is.

I know OEM does not allow the user to install that copy of the software onto another machine and was wondering how i would know which would go with which machine.

OEM comes preinstalled. OEMs is installed onto a computer system before shipping the system to an end-user.
DSP software can be purchased from authorised Microsoft distribution partners.[same limitations]
Do you not have a authenticity label or sticker from the manufacturer on the side of the box? Its the OEM number that is the main issue here not which CD you use.

yeah the authenticity stickers are on the machines. So using any cd would be fine?

i could use the same cd to rebuild everything then if the stickers are on each machine?

you should be able to use any cd, as long as it states thats its the recovery cd for that model.

I used to do that with Dell kit all the time.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

some of them dont have model names on them, just manufacturer. And plus for the ones that do there are multiple machines of the same model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back