Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrboj8ngles

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
US
After several months of detective work to remove numerous virus/bugs/trojans and what have you, I'm still getting the feeling that something is still running on my comp. Note-Iv'e used every spy-killer imaginable. Today I was told that my "virtual memory" was low. It sounds serious - so - My friend told me to reboot my computer. I'm not familiar with how one goes about this, or the side effects.I searched the internet for ways to reboot, but i want to be sure before I head in - is there a fool proof way of doing this?
Note: After a quick run in the microsoft chat - I was told that this process is called reformatting - getting my comp to the state it was when I bought it
I have nothing on my computer that I want or have already saved to disk. This is for the exception of one program i bought - norton. Will I be able to reinstall this program even though the disk has been already activated?

Howdy:

First of all, rebooting and formatting are on opposite ends of the spectrum.. tell whomever told you different in msn chat to take a pill then a course !!

Rebooting is simply shutting down and starting your system or using the reset button to do the same..

Reformatting is totally wiping out your hdd and then re-insatalling everything..

BTW, it would help to know what OS you are using..very important !!

As for Norton, give them a call.. you should be able to re-activate as long as you can supply proof of ownweship !!

Murray

:) I'll go for the reformatting option

I'm using -Windows XP home edition-

Okay.. Just boot into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set for cd-rom.. Pop your XP cd in and re-boot..

Follow the prompts from there..

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back