Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebooting with Outlook open

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefexp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2002
US
Why does Office XP propt you when you are shuting down, stating that you cannot shut down until you close Outlook? All previouls editions did not do they, they used to just shut it down automatically.

I want to keep my Outlook open all the time, but I also have a scheduled reboot at 1AM to clear files, etc... But with this new feature of Outlook 2002, when I wake up in the morning I see that the computer tried to shutdown, but is waiting for me to shutdown Outlook first (even though my shutdown program is set to "force" the shutdown"

Is there a fix?????

I've looked everywhere for a fix for this with no luck. Im assuming its just a simple registry key you need to add. But know what the value is the problems.

It would be nice if there were a command line to "Close Outlook". Then we could invoke it in a batch file prior to either a scheduled backup or, in your case, a shutdown.

I have not found it.

David

There is a work around for this, just found it today:
Open Outlook
Go to options
Select the Mail Format Tab
Uncheck Use Word to edit my email messages
Click OK and voila
Stupid but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search