Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDaniel

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Looking for recommendation for reboot as part of maintenance
for CTX 1.8 on TSE. Currently rebooting 2 wks interval.
Should it be shorter???Longer???

It really depends on your own needs - some sites I visit have daily reboot schedules, a very few others are fine for a month. Most stick to once a week - but if you are not having major issues, then your cycle should be fine.

Thx,I am experiencing blank screens and a very high thread count at times. I am now rebooting every 2 weeks as a result. Looking for a reboot script tried a couple found on web already not very good.

any suggestions appreciated.

You can use the AT command that comes with NT;

AT [\\computername] time [/INTERACTIVE] [/EVERY:date[....] | /NEXT:date[....]] "command"

Type AT /? in a cmd window to get a full description of this command. Note, it must be used in conjunction with the NT task scheduler.

There are other tools available, but this works, with a bit of playing, and you've already paid for it ;-)

I hope this helps

You should also create a batch file that runs before the reboot to cleanup the server a bit. You can then schedule the batch file to run using the AT command. Here is an example

==Night.bat==
RD U:\Temp /S /Q
MD U:\Temp
Del U:\WTSRV\*.tmp
Shutdown 60 /Delay:15 /reboot
==end========

Line 1 Removes the Temp directory and anything in the Temp directory that is orphaned. /S is to include the subdirectory. /Q is to disables the confirmation promt.
Line 2 recreates the temp directory.
Line 3 deletes all the temp files created for Terminal Services for each user. You should see quite a few of them in the Systemroot.
Line 4 reboots the server and gives a 60 second warning.

Dave Namou, MCSE CCEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back