Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot Citrix Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklch

Programmer
May 16, 2002
CA
I heard from another system admin that manages a citrix environment that they reboot their machines everyday. I think this is over-kill personally. What are others thoughts and concerns of doing so..

I have one server and it gets rebooted about once every three months with no problems. The last time I rebooted I found out that Outlook was corrupted but it worked fine before I rebooted.

I usually reboot when a MS update requires it. It's really hard for me to reboot the servers because there are users on it 24hrs per day for nearly 365 days a year. Rebooting it means I have to send advanced notifications...

We usually advise our clients that once a week or once every two weeks is ideal. I would not let them run for longer than two weeks though.

We tend to schedule reboots to happen at the same time every week - e.g. Sunday @ 4AM. That way at least everyone will know when its going to happen without advance warning and it works OK.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

I reboot all servers weekly, during the tiny hours of Sunday morning.

Its a suck and see. If you get the oppportunity to do it scheduled like lb6340 says then I'd be going for it.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

I have mine scheduled to reboot once a week late at night. Apps are used globally (US, AP, EU) but I have the servers scheduled to boot at staggered intervals (6 metaframe servers). So, even if someone is disconnected, they could connect to another server.

It really doesn't have much to do with Citrix, but more with the apps you run on your servers. I've worked a several places and each had their own needs to reboot. It ranged from daily, weekly, and none at all. You might see how long your servers can before things start acting weird.

=====================================
The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems
=====================================

Hehe that would be the login screen then[wink]

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

I schedule all of my Citrix Servers to bounce at 3AM +/- 5 minutes on a daily basis. I know it's not needed, but prefer not getting any calls about my Citrix Servers not performing up to their capability.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back