Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reboot after remove SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

haironfire

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2008
US
Have new Dell Studio 17 with Vista Home premium. I can read both SD card and usb flashdrive but when I remove them, even with "safely remove" the laptop reboots, asking me to restart in Safe Mode or normal.
Any ideas?

Try this:
1) Click on Start and then on Control Panel.

2) In the Control Panel double click to open System.

3) In the left panel under ‘Tasks’ click on Advanced system settings.

4) In the section labeled ‘Startup and Recovery’, click on the Settings button.

5) In the section labeled ‘System failure, remove the checkmark from ‘Automatically restart’.

6) Click Ok, OK to exit.

With that done, try to remove an SD card from the reader and see if you get an error instead of the machine restarting. If you do copy it down and post it here so we may take a look.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

OK, forgot to say happens when remove USB storage device also. Also up-graded BIOS as recommended. No driver updates available.
Tech Info:
Stop: 0x0000007E ( 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005;
0xFFFFF800020473BE, 0xFFFFFA60015E07D8,
0xFFFFFA600115E01B0)
My note- may have been only one 1.

Only 2 weeks old- do you think I should just take it back?

If its that new, I'd make use of the warranty yes.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Stop Error 0x7E Occurs in Usbhub.sys If USB Bandwidth Consumption Exceeds 100 Percent

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E"

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thank you both. Think I'll use warranty.
Thanks again.

True. It sounds like some power issue(s) connected with the USB controller(s). In other words, it pretty certainly sounds hardware related to me. Good decision to just take it back. Regardless of the issue, if you buy it at a store, and it's acting any sort of weird like this within the first week or two - seems a no brainer for a return, my opinion.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back