Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reasons to move to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncurtis

Technical User
Oct 23, 2000
GB
We have about 300 NT machines which I want to upgrade to XP soon. First I have to persuade our directors that it will be money and time well spent.

I'd be very grateful for your top reasons to migrate to XP. I'm particularly interested in quantifiable reasons. They like facts and figures!

Many thanks
John

XP boots a lot quicker than 2K about 100% quicker, that is the most noticable thing. It has better support for more devices. And will be increasingly future proof.

This is however a big upgrade you are suggesting (300 machines) i personally would only upgrade to XP on new build machines or refits, until the percentage of 2000 machines is very low and then upgrade them

Good Luck. __________________________________
Create like a God, Command like a King, Work like a slave..

Here's a couple.
1) WinNT is a dead OS microsoft is not supporting or patching it any more.
2) Even with all the security holes they are finding in XP it is still more secure than NT with all the newest service packs and fixes

What specs are the machines? What are they used for? Do you have to upgrade all of them?

My first reaction is "there's no way you can financially justify this if its a normal office environment. NT will perform tasks as well as XP". But it obviously depends entirely on use (ie, what has XP got that you need that NT hasn't) for each machine. If there are many subgroups of use across the 300, I'd look at each one, and make a case or not for that usage.

Remember, XP has a higher minimum (and more importantly) reaonable level hardware requirement than NT.

How important is the image of the operating system to your directors? As NT is 'old'.

I am having problem to authenticate XP machine to a win 2000 advanced server primiry domain controler. Older XP machine worked fine but not the most recent one. How can I go around this.
Thanks

WinNT4 is not a dead OS, Microsoft calls it a complete OS, a finished product.

The support for it will be retired at the end of this year. That does not mean that you can't continue to use it. You can still install it and use it.

Remember that NT4 has C2 compliance with the DOD but that's only on a closed network.

I would upgrade only on new or rebuilt units.

Keep in mind that you will not be able to activate XP after the end of 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back