Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reasonable price for POS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrruuunnn

Technical User
Jun 1, 2008
what should i expect to pay for a POS system, one store with two terminals?

500 - 1000 dollars for software licenses per terminal
Hardware dependent on what you buy. NCR, IBM, Radiant etc.
Labor hours for data inputting, training, installation, network cabling for business.
Lots of variables.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

As Bo said, this depends on A LOT of factors. What should I expect to pay for a car -- assuming 4 tires?

Are you talking restaurant, retail? If restaurant, table or counter pay and do you want one or more kitchen printers? Do you need inventory control? Will you be accepting credit or debit cards and if so, do you want it integrated? Etc., etc., etc.

Need more data...

Steve Sommers
-- Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

Blog:

would a POS Dealer be upset if i buy my hardware somewhere else and buy only the software from them?

Depends on the POS dealer. Some make most of their money on the hardware so they might not spend the time required if they are only doing the software. Others let you pick & choose or piece together from other sources and then charge you hourly to setup and configure. Another factor is support. If the dealer is providing support, then they usually prefer or require that they provide the hardware because they know what they are selling and what to expect in supporting the hardware.

Some will do that and others will not. If you do provide your own hardware expect to pay for support getting everything up and running as POS systems are not typically plug and play.

Either way be sure to pick a software provider that is dedicated to supporting their product and will not vaporize once the check clears.

If you will be buying your own hardware, I recommend buying an all in one unit. We decided to use a standard PC system, but then found the all in one is a much better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back