Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rearranging Column Order in Report Studio - Cognos 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slicemahn

MIS
Jun 28, 2005
CA
Hi,

I have a couple queries that I use to produce a customer tenure report. In Report Studio, I use a cross tab that would show calls against aging. My problem is that I have columns headings such as: above 5 Years, 0-3 months, BLANK,1 YEAR, 2 YEARS, 4-6 MONTHS, 5 YEARS, 4 YEARS, 7-9 MONTHS, 3 YEARS. These column headings within themselves cannot be arranged in a alphabetical format. Are any suggeistons on how I may achieve arranging my columns in chronolgoical order?

Many thanks
Slice

Define an additional dataitem like:

Code:
CASE WHEN
[AGE_VARIABLE] = 'BLANK' THEN
'01.BLANK' 
WHEN
[AGE_VARIABLE] = '0-3 months' THEN
'02.0-3 months'
ELSE NULL END

Use this data item and you will get the proper sort you want.
If you want the original names for [AGE_VARIABLE] then
simply produce an index like:

Code:
CASE WHEN
[AGE_VARIABLE] = 'BLANK' THEN
WHEN
[AGE_VARIABLE] = '0-3 months' THEN
ELSE NULL END

and use this as a sorter for the crosstab axis..

Ties Blom

Thanks blom. Forgive my additional question(s). I am new to the Cognos environment. The code example is written where exactly? With respect to your code, would I need to fully describe the expression as in:

Topics].[Acct Since Range].[Acct Range Desc] where Acct Range Desc (Account Range Description) is my age variable? Once this Case is executed I would need to perform an ORDER BY ...?

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Slice

1.Choose the query that is used for the crosstab.
2.From your toolbox drag a new dataitem into the querylist.
3.Cognos will open up a new GUI where you can define the expression.
4.Build the expression by using a CASE WHEN ELSE END construction.
5.Rename the new expression (which has a default name like Dataitem1) to a meaningful one

The CASE expression would something like:

Code:
CASE WHEN
[Topics].[Acct Since Range].[Acct Range Desc] = 'BLANK' THEN
'01.BLANK' 
WHEN
[Topics].[Acct Since Range].[Acct Range Desc] = '0-3 months' THEN
'02.0-3 months'
ELSE NULL END

If you use the new dataitem in the crosstab, then the sorting will probably based on the 01, 02 prefix automatically. Otherwise you need to apply a sort from the menu.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back