Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REAPI: Identical databases, different names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdander

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
US
I am developing reports for an applcation that uses the Report Engine API against a SQL Server 6.5 database. Problem is, this application is used at several different field offices that all have the exact same database running under different names. DB_NY, DB_CHICAGO, etc. We can make the *datasource* names identical, no problem. But not the *database* names.

Because the database name is apparently built into the connection parameter, a Crystal Report developed for one location does not work at another. Am I going to have to do a separate "Set Location" on all 50 of our reports for each of our 10 sites? (50*100 = 500 times!!!!) Why does Crystal Reports have to know the database name, why can't it just use the one that is built into the ODBC profile--or am I doing something wrong? I know of other reporting tools that do not require the name of the database to be the same.

We are using Crystal Reports 7.01

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Brent,

Here is something to try. In the report, go to Database-Set Location. In the table name field at the bottom of the box try removing the database name from the front of it. Still leave the owner and the table name. Save the report and then see how it runs from one of the other sites. We were able to do this and it seems to work well.

Hope this helps,
Elton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back