Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RealVNC remote browser access problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwillr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2003
CA
I have searched the forums and have found some conflicting information, none of which has been a help. I have decided to post the question in serach of some assistance.

home PC
=======
XP pro
Beheind a linksys router
Has realVNC server set up
router forwards port 5900 to the local ip of this machine.

The remote system i am using to access it (also windows based) does not allow for installation of the viewer, thus, i want to simply use a web browser to connect. (IE 6.0, 128 bit)

From what i understand, i can do this by entering the external IP followed by the port #:

This is just giving me a page can not be displayed error.

The VNC documentation suggest that i should be replacinf the last zero of the "5900" with a "system #" such as 2, thus - 5902.

I have tried this and have gotten the same error.

any suggestions on what settings are not correct?

PS: i have an IIS server set up on the home system as well, and that can be accessed just fine.

Gary

Gary -

I have stumbled on your issue here looking for something else, but when I use VNC remotely it works with port 5800 not 5900. You may want to give that a shot. Make sure you have both open in the Linksys from what I understand.

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back