Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really Wierd - Needed Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

aullah

Technical User
Oct 8, 2008
CA
Hi,
My name is Asim and this is my first post or question here.

One user called me today and he said that he lost his emails from March 2008 to Oct 5/2008.

I checked and yess,, all his emails are gone from March 3 2008 till Oct5 2008.

Weird enough, he has few PST(Outlook data file).

All of them has emails before march3/08 and after Oct 5 2008. ALSO. in sent items all the emails are gone from that period as well in all PSTs.

He has pop 3 account. SO. R u guys scratching your head, i know i am, please help.

Is there any chance this person has been using more than one computer? If the pop3 was downloaded onto another computer, then it will have the missing time period there.....

Nope, its the only PC he used,

and it was there till thursday , Friday its gone.

I knoww.. If the problem is with 1 PST and is missing data I can understand, it happend to all 4 PST file that were in his outlook.

PST is like a Document You typed u saved. IT Should stay there. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:.

Could they have been saved to a network drive?
Try a search for *.pst on the local pc and maybe if theres a share on the network he has access to search there also.

All the PSTs are there,, emails from MArch till October are missing from the PSTs. 2 on network and 2 local PST.

Networked PSTs aren't supported (and Microsoft strongly recommends against them), and corrupted/missing data in them isn't a surprise.

As for the rest, can't say.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Sounds like he hard deleted them.

Chris

No, He didnt,
as i mentioned the mails during that peirod is not only gone from 1 PST or inbox.. He had few PST and its gone from all PSTs. Also from sent items its gone aswell..
Relaly wierd,, Searched the whole net ,, coudnt find anything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back