Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really Stupid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumm

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
AU
I have an access application!
Is it possible to load the application onto a web server then split the database and load the forms locally and access the data over a dial up?

Sorry if this goes against all normal principals

That is exactly what Access Projects and Access Pages are designed to do.

Store your data in an Access Project and your use Access Pages to create your web pages

You need Access 2000 or later.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
accessaceNOJUNK@valleyalley.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Hi LS,

Have you used this feature much, and is it any good. I'd be pretty interested in your and other views on this, as I personally have not seen / used Access Pages.

Regards,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

No Steve,

I 'know about it' and I've knocked up a few pages in an idle moment or two to 'try it out' but I've never had a need to really get to grips with it.
And at the moment I have soooo much work on that unless it is directly connected with the project in hand - then it's not getting run-time.

This is firmly in my "academic knowledge with no practical experience" folder.

G LS

Thanks LS;

As I say, I havn't come across it very much, and am curious as to how 'successful' its actually been, and whether its taken on at all. Don't seem to see many related posts about it on TT, which might suggest that its doesnt get too much usage.
Cheers,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer

Actually, the Access data management over the internet is classically done with ASP - cheaper (no need to have Access installed on any machine) and much better documented.

Never used ADP before, and have no intention of doing so while ASP is at hand...

Just my personal opinion...

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

Yes Daniel - you clarify I few things with your comment there.

We must remember that Access is designed for two distinct markets.
On the one hand the professional developers are able to do really quite technical things with it.

On the other hand it has various tools that allow a relativly inexperienced user to 'get something working'.

I suspect that ADP is an item targeted at the latter market segment

G LS

Thanks guys; what you're saying is in line with my own perceptions. The only thing that I would add, is the clarification that an application with no ADP needs little work to make the equivalent functionality available over the web. The ADP (or equivalent ASP) pages still have to be developed to allow for the maintenance / presentation of the data).

In the context of the original thread request, the poster might be better served to investigate remote access to a single remote database via high speed cable / ADSL connection, using a Citrix or Norton remote access product (or maybe even the remote access capabilities provided by Windows) to remotely access the application. This may or may not be a satisfactory approach, depending on the cost, size, performance etc.

Regards,

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer

Thanksfor all your comments. What drove the question was that I have designed a system (running on a single desktop) as a pilot. The system has been a great success and at the same time the company is growing. They are going to fund web enablement (with ASP and SQL Server) but we cant deliver this as quickly as they need it as they need to role this out to other users across multiple sites (by the way - they dont have a network). What I need to do is load the application to a hosted service and install just the forms on remote laptops. I tries to split the database locally then FTP the data side to a hosted server but I found no way of managing the linked tables to look at the hosted server. I have looked at replication but it is not fit for this situation. As for Pages - we need to update 'forms'with many tables so pages are a no go - hence the ASP route.

Sorry to be a pain - how is this for an idea?
The access application can be upsized to SQL Server (which the hosting looks after fine. Locally I will upsize the database with the option - Ling current project to SQL. If I then move the data and SQL Database to the host will it then work?

Hope this explains what is in my mind!!!!!

Grumm,

You'll be upsizing the data, not the application to SQL Server. You'll then have to write ASP Pages to interact with the database on the host machine and present it to the clients over the internet. A bit of work involved, but a good approach and solution if you have the time, money and develop the expertise.

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back