Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really Strange Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

suedaisy

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
Hi,
Ok I have a really strange issue, and any help is greatly appreciated.
We have vanilla servers, no name brands, RAID controllers, Win2k. This strange noise just started happening on Friday so I'll explain it as best as possible.
I went to the server Friday and the server was on and running but the screen wouldnt appear.. it was as if it was in sleeper mode. I tried everything for it to come back on and it wouldnt, so I had to turn it off from the power supply switch in the back (holding the power button didnt work). Once I turned it back on it went through BIOS and right before the splash screen the monitor shut off and then it made a horrible screeching noise, but the entire server stayed on, and the noise stopped... but the screen still wouldnt appear. I couldnt tell where the noise came from, so after trial and error (and completely turning off power to the harddrives) the noise still happened right after BIOS.
So I went into BIOS, made no changes (just flipped through settings), and exited... then all of a sudden, it booted into win2k.. and it was fine.
This morning it died again.. so I rebooted the same way (shut off the power supply switch) and it repeated the same thing, same screech, same spot that it died on. So I rebooted one more time, went into BIOS, made no changes, and exited.. and poof! it went into windows and now its fine again.
Does anyone have any insight as to what this could be? What has the capability of making such a horrible noise but only after BIOS? I'm stumped, and I had 2 computer technicians over, and they're stumped too.
Thanks so much
Suzanne

Sounds like it could be a video card problem.
After the initial post, when win starts it resets the video properties. If there is a problem with it, it could do what you describe. You might want to try reseting the properties and see if it helps, lower resolution and/or refresh rate.

Suspect that the BIOS is failing at the end of POST where the normal beep comes. First step would be to reseat anything that is pluggable and see if it happens again.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Could this be a bad fan? They make loud "screeching" noises when the bearings go bad. Could be the CPU fan and when it seizes up the CPU overheats. Just a guess.

Jim

Good thought. We thought it was the processors fans.. but we listened REALLY closely to those, and it wasnt.. but its coming from that direction.

I've had more than one person tell me that its the video card... just thought it was funny for an on board video card to make such a racket, but maybe it is possible. I'm getting a new one this afternoon.. so we'll see what happens.

The only reason I dont think its a power supply fan is because the noise is too... planned, i guess you could say. It only happens if I reboot without going into BIOS.
So I kind of ruled out any fan issues.. because if it was a fan, wouldnt the noise happen at anytime?

This is strange all right. I've got one that the fan is noisey only after a power down and power up (I haven't replaced it yet). After shut down and power up twice, the fan will be quiet until the next shut down and power up. So, they can act weird.

Jim

A bad fan shouldn't cause the screen to go blank imediately. When you say the server stayed on, do you mean you could still access it via the network, just no display?

Could the monitor be making the noise? The high voltage section of a monitor can make some really ugly noises. It could the the monitor is just bad.

When windows starts the monitor will change resolution, there may be a problem with the monitor at some resolution/refresh rates.
Anyway, it is easy to check - just try a different monitor.

If you have the same problem, then I would try to start windows in safe mode, which uses a default low res setting. If you can't get to safe mode try booting from a DOS floppy.

When the server stays on.. you can hear it like a regular computer (all that noise), but no.. you cant access it from the network.
We changed out the monitor (for a just in case its this kind of thing), no avail.. it did the same thing.

I'll try the low res solution this morning and see what happens.

Hello SueDaisey,
Do you still have a Tech at hand? If so, have them take a look at the capasitors on the mother board. The capasitors are the tall barrel shaped components. They have a "Y" shape
on the tops of them. The tops are suppose to be flat. You will probably find some that are "crowned" or have burst out
through the top. This can cause many different problems including yours and they emitt a loud whistling or hissing sound from the tops of them when split.

Well.. everyone.. this morning when I came into work, the server has expired.. it is no more, it ceases to exist. After checking the video card, memory, RAID, harddrives, floppy, and CDROM... it turns out that it was the motherboard. Not sure exactly what about the motherboard, not until we send it off to the manufacturer....
We're getting a new motherboard tomorrow morning, and I'll let you know what happens from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back