Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Really need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexellis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
GB
Hi

We just had a powercut !!!!, everything has come back on correctly except for one cisco 1600, this has a condifguration on it which has two ips to translate between one set of servers to the other, basically the situation I am in now the router is back to its basic config, nothing on it, but using cisco config maker it tells me the startup-config is the correctly configured one ie the one I want running, I have tried the old fasioned re-boot but won't load the config I don;t know why, I can't telnet to it I don;t think, what do I need to do to load a different config ??

Help I want to go home

If it has the correct star-up config try rebooting again.
Can you ping the router? If you can then you should be able to telnet and Copy start-up runing-config.

Have you tried connecting to it via the console port?

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Can u check up what is the startup configuration. If u r having backup of he configuration u can upload it to the router

I got it going in the end, I had to power off and on again while connected to the Console via Hyperterminal. The router had set itself back to the out of the box config. I had to write the Startup config to the running config to get my settings back on and running

Sounds like you might have the config-reg values set wrong.May want to look into that, if you aren't sure about what I am saying leave me a message will elaborate on it.

is that why everytime its powered off it doesn;t load the Startup cofig ?

please elabourate !!!

Yes, you can set the configuration register to perform different tasks.

The router has a 16-bit configuration register in NVRAM. You can use the configuration register to perform the following tasks:

Set and display the configuration register value
Force the router into the ROM monitor (bootstrap program)
Select a boot source and default boot filename
Enable or disable the Break function
Control broadcast addresses
Load operating software from ROM

your config reg should be 0x2102 or 0x102.If you use show version command you should see one of the two examples above. Either one is what you want, if they are different you will need to change them.Most likely yours is probably set to 0x2142 or 0x142 at the moment. Which tells the router to ignore the existing startup-conf.
Go to the global config mode of the router and change the config-register. Use the below command:

Router2(config)#config-register 0x2102

or 0x102 depending on what the show version command displays.

Will I have to reprogram the router after I change the register ??

thanks very much

Alex

No, all this does is tell the router what to boot-up, and how to boot-up. You could if you so desired have the router boot from a tftp server with the config-reg. You won't need to shut the router down or anything after you make the changes. (Unless you want to test the thing.) But, all the config-reg does is tell the router where and what to look for during boot-up process. It's a hex based command set, there are some charts on how to use the numbers properly for differnet settings.

Try this on cisco's website, it will explain it a little better than I have to you and give you some charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back