Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REALLY DUMB Terminal Services Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerCop911

Programmer
Jul 30, 2003
CA
I want to setup TS in Remote Admin mode so I can access the server while at another location. I have 5 CALs (its a small server) in PER SERVER licensing mode....does TS require per SEAT licensing?

Also, how do I setup the connection for the client computer? I will be using either Win2000 Pro or XP Pro....

I just got this server setup, and have not worked with Win2000 server before...so I would GREATLY appreciate detailed explanations.

Thanks a lot!

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Network/Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

Also, please help me in setting up any firewalls or other security features of Win2000 Server that need to be setup when I enable TS. Any ports to forward?

ComputerCop911

Ok If you use WinXP to connect you wont need any CAL's. WinXP comes already with a license for that.As for the client connection you need to use RDC (remote desktop connection) found only in XP at START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/COMMUNICATIONS/REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTIONS. Win2000 does not have it but if you logon to this you will be able to downloaded for 98/2000 versions.

What kind of firewall you have? You have to create rules for TS so this can work.If your clients connect from within the company then an internal IP has to be used.Ex:192.168.168.7 If the clients logon from the outside the external IP that ISP provider gave you is needed.Provide me with the firewall maker and I will let you know how to do it. If you need more details give me your email. Good luck

It is very nice to be important but it is very important to be nice.

Remote administration mode doesn´t even need TSCals.
TSCals are only needed when running application mode.
Only limitation with Remote Administration mode is that it is limited to 2 concurrent users.

Petje
A+, MCP, MCSE on NT4.0 and windows 2000 and Windows server 2003 and CCEA

ok, but does TS need Per server or per seat licensing? or does it not matter?

I have an SMC router with a NAT hardware firewall

ComputerCop911

The license mode of the server does not matter. Like Petje stated, you are limited to 2 concurrent sessions in administration mode . You will have to forward port 3389 to you server IP address inorder to connect from any external location.

KMcAllister

As for Windows 2000 access to TS, on the server you installed TS on, go to Admin tools, Terminal Services Client Creator. Here you can choose the 32bit disk creation, (takes 2 floppies) and then you just run the exe from the first disk on the win98/2000 pc you want to access the TS server from.

Hope this helps.

J

What do you have to do to connect to the currently logged in session on the server? When I try to connect to my 2k Server machine from an XP workstation, I get a new session via TS and cannot see the programs runnin the session that is logged into the server.

Thanks,
Jason

In order to connect to a previously established session I would suggest a product such as VNC. This will allow you to shadow any local logon established on the server.
Terminal services will start a new session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back