Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realistically - How easy is it to set up a secure VPN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSLtechie

Technical User
May 30, 2003
GB
I would like to implement a VPN on our Watchguard Firebox 700.

This is purely for remote users to access the network via Broadband access. I consider myself to be a bit of a techie as that is my job, but having never set one up, wanted a true unbiased opinion. [bigears]

(I have many external sources wanting me to pay a standard £800 a day for consultancy fees)

All opinions welcome, and thanks for looking... [thumbsup2]

KSL

I'm doing exactly this at the moment, starting with exactly the same level of expertise as you, with mixed results.

Im currently trying to set up home broadband users using a technique to create more secure tunnels than the standard ones. Check my post "Main mode with MUVPN and a fixed IP address". If I get an answer it could be what you're after.

I am faily new to the Watchguard products. Say since April of this year.

I am currently setting up a 28 location VPN with a Firebox 1000, 700, and SOHOtc's plus the MUVPN for laptop (mobile users).

I have found the VPN's VERY easy to configure and have run into no problems at all. What I suggest to do is take a look at your IP address allocation for internal clients and block a part of them off for you remote users (ppl using the MUVPN software)

For any router-to-router VPN's just make sure the IP pools are different at eack location.

I have set up VPN's on other products, and by far the Fireboxes are the easiest and give you the most control. The logging is great to debug any errors.

Keep the thread going if you have any more questions.

bzumwalt,

I am currently looking to configure a similiar scenario as it appears you have already done. I am looking to purchase, and install a Firebox 1000, three Firebox 700's, and 13 SOHO 6tc's. It sounds like you are pretty satisfied with the Watchguard devices, at least the VPN portion...Do you have any regrets going this route, vs. another firewall/VPN solution? This really isn't the proper forum for this question, but I just happened to find your response message while trying to research the Watchguard products. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Jeff

Actually no. I am 110% satisfied with the Fireboxes. They give you total control of what is going in and out of your network especially on the content portion. The nice thing is actually able to see and log it.

One thing I would do different is plan a little better on what to block and allow on the proxy-filters. It is a pain to add MIME-types based on the users' usage rather than having all that setup before hand. But if you think about it, there is so much media on the web that it is almost impossible to anticipate what people will do on the web.

The Watchguad Security updates are nice to have them as well to keep you up on the more recent vulnerabilities.

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back