Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real Video - Is it possible to record streaming media 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleneD

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
CA
Hi:

I was wondering if it is possible to record a real video on my local hard drive?

Thanks

What do you mean by a "Real video" Do you mean Real as in Real Player? Or something else?

If as the subject says "Is it possible to record streaming media" then yes, it is. There are a few programs available which allow you to record streaming video.

Only one I can think of at the moment is called Snag It, have a look at to see if thats the sort of thing you mean.

Hi:

Thanks for your post.

The streaming video is in the real player format on a web-site.

Is it possible to record this or download it to my hard drive?

You can record it with that one program I posted, or you can possibly right click on it and choose save as.

Where is the site? I can take a look if you want.

Right clicking and saving does not seem to work with Real Video links.

I eneded up with a 2k file that serves as a link to the website's video.

I will check out Camtasia - hopefully there is a free version.

Will Camtasia's format be supported by other plavers such as Windows Media Player?

Yes, Camtasia is supported by Media Player etc. There is most likely an option to choose the output type, and I would imagine it probably covers most of the standard file types.

Not sure about a free version though, if its only a couple videos that you are wanting to record, then the Snag It program I mentioned (If I remember rightly) comes with a free 30 day trial.

You will need special downloading software to download .ram files, as they are "RTSP://" protocol instead of " protocol. I use CoCSoft Stream Down to download .ram files. It supports RTSP, MMS, MMSU, and MMST. You can download it at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back