Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real Time Clock - Found New Hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
Just installed a Via Solution USB 2.0 PCI Host Card and also replaced the CDRom with a burner, rebooted and the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, looking for drivers for a)Real Time Clock and b)PCI card. B) I can understand, but why is it looking (and failing to find) a driver for the Real Time Clock?

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

zoroaster,

I would first see which piece of hardware requires the Real Time Driver by removing one or the other. It may be something completely different and unrelated, or an IRQ conflict. Install one at a time to find out.

For the future, it's always a best practice whenever possible to make only one change to a system at a time...makes for easier troubleshooting. Just by rebooting you may have started up a new update. Let us know what you find out.

wahnula

USB 2.0 cards require more than one interrupt channel. Upon detection the BIOS and Windows try to assign one line per device to reduce the potential of troubles. Doing so may require a reassignment of previously assigned componenets. This may require a reinstallation of the driver (through a call that indicates the IRQ line to be used I guess).

If you want to help your system a bit, go into the BIOS and disable the COM and LPT ports if you are not using them. It will give more interrupt lines for the system to assign to the new components.

Sorry for the elapsed time to respond...

Thanks felixc, I'm using the parallel port for a printer - I think this is the same as the LPT port? Not sure how I know if I'm using the COM port, how can I tell?

I reinstalled the driver but get the same issue. How do I resolve the IRQ conflict - sorry this is a bit outside my comfort zone so simple instructions would help!

Many thanks in advance!

Laters, Z

Does it search for a driver every time that the PC is turned on?

If you use COM ports? Well, the COM ports are these DB9 connectors (shaped like the parallel port but with just 9 pins instead of 25). Some PCs don't even have these ports on the back plate these days, as they are virtually not used anomore. So if you don't, then go in the BIOS menus. You should find a submenu called something like peripherals, or integrated peripherals, where you would see some info on these ports. You would have the choice of assigning an address or interrupt line, or to disable it. Disable it.

Moving your USB2 card to another PCI slot, will also change the interrupt lines and the problem may disappear by doing so. It sounds like snake oil, but this is one of the limitations of the PC architecture, that dates back to the early 80s, and to stay "PC-compatible" this limitation is still there.

Thanks felixc, I'll try that - I had a look in the BIOS last night and found the peripherals section but wasn't sure exactly what to do with it. Yes I'm pretty sure the 'found new hardware' wizard comes up every time. I'll let you know how I get on - cheers

Laters, Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back