Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Real Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtownbound

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
US

I've seen this problem posted numerous times, so I have to ask, "Has anyone ever used CE9 to automatically email reports to an email address outside of the local host domain?"(ie you@hotmail.com instead of you@yourdept.com)

Crystal tech support has been dancing around it and I'm beginning to think that it just can't be done.

Any feedback or input is greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, all the time - if you are having problems with this you probably need to look at your mail server instead of your Crystal setup.

When scheduling reports in CE9, I can schedule internal emails and they run and are emailed with no problem. As soon as I change the recipient to an external email, I get:

"Error Message: address error. CrystalEnterprise.Smtp: SMTP_E_MAILBOX_UNAVAILABLE_2(550) "

To help with troubleshooting:

- I'm using an email account that can send external emails

- I have sent the same report manually, so neither sending or receiving exchange servers is blocking attachments

- Being able to send internal emails lets me know that CE is communicating with the Exhange server and the account credentials are correct

- I've tested enclosing the recipient email adx in double quotes and received the same results

Thanks for any help!!!

You have to have an email account on the server that your Crystal Enterprise is located on. Then when setting up emails, you use the email accout on the server. Our account is creports@....etc.
I hope this helps.

So you have to have an email account on the CE server?? What different does it make if CE has the correct Echange server in the SMTP configs?

In our case, we use Sql Server and that is where CE 9 resides. When you set up a destination to email an instance to the user, you are emailing from CE 9 so you have got to have an email account on that server, because that's the email serves you use.

We have an email account on the Exchange server and internally, the email function works flawslessly. It just when you email to an external domain, it fails. I'm trying to figure out how you can do one but not the other.

Yes we run automated crystal reports to an external email daily with no problems until recently when we moved to the server to a new location with a new ip.

It appears that we have to install CE Service Pack 2 for this functionality, but we can't do this because the service pack conflicts with our version of Remedy. We're still troubleshooting but thanks for all of your replies and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back