Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REAL NORTHSTAR MANAGEMENT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

defaultgeek

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
Is there a product similar to CiscoView or HP Openview that will work with a Northstar MICS mini PBX
Is there any WIN 2K/XP Northstar Admin software for daily management which does not need so much learning curve? My junior admins frequently turn over and I don't have the time for minor changes. Using the phone station display LCD is too limited. Below is a list of tools that really don't do what we needs to be done, they are more for global recovery. We need to be able to remap ring groups throughout the day, remotely redirect incomming calls at will to different stations based on call volume and who is available. I need to control my incomming DID's and shy of call accounting be able to justify my houly incomming call volumes and call density per hour(to determine if we over purchased lines)

Hardware: MICS 4.1, RAD, Northstar Manager 3.5, Northstar VM 4.0, ICS tools, (2) T-1 PRI's, and several more cards and plenty of stations. I have downloaded the huge naics4_1.xls file and it can read in Excel 98 due to old macro's.

Thanks in Advance

Norstar Remote Utilities is really the only thing available that you can use to remotely change programming without having to go into the programming via a telephone. Use the Browser tool. I guess you have that already as you say you have ICS tools?

Call accounting sw or a traffic report ordered from your telco would tell you what traffic is coming across your lines at any given hour.

It sounds as though your incoming call routing is in flux all the time. I don't know of any system that is going to allow you to redirect an incoming call from an assigned set to another set or group. Why the constant remapping? What is the application? MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

If you find a tip helpful, please mark it as such.

Perhaps using ACD and having personel login and logout as they come and go would be part of your solution. Calls would not get lost this way and unmanned phones would not ring.

PhM

Thanks, login idea could work to fix some issues, but raise more. Thank you for confirming my suspicions about tools.

Would there be any value in upgrading MICS to version 5.? Or the same for and upgrade to remote utilities? What are the newest MICS versions going to do better?

Can I download a MICS file and flash PCMCIA card with the the new MICS OS, and do a "copy mics*.bin tftp flash similar to how we image a router or switch or must I source this from Nortel or vendor and have it mailed on a new card?

No, there's not really any difference in how the prorgramming is managed with 5.0 from 4.1. And the latest and greatest NRU (Norstar Remote Utilities) won't help you either. MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

If you find a tip helpful, please mark it as such.

DF,
I would have absolutely ZERO to do with Rls 5.anything. Wait until 6 is out and proven. There have been more problems with 5 than any other software release. Rls 4.1.1 is a good one and if you are not looking for site connectivity then don't upgrade. (my personal opinion).
Perhaps if you could state what problems you think the ACD would bring we may be able to suggest work-arounds that are not always apparrant.

PhM

Yes, sounds like you need ACD but have you even played with the hunt groups in system programming? how many agents you have?? it can save you money if you know how to set it up properly.
Perhaps like Arr states, some more detail would help like how many agents and lines and average time per call with client and average hold time.
ACD quotes (as others) are free so I would suggest you get a couple quotes.
Btw if your searching the net you have a Norstar Key System not to be confused with PBX.
MICS 6.0 I am not to hot on unfortunatly.
Latest NRU is 9.0 but not much difference there also.
~Will Nortel soon be NoTel??~

CurlyC,
What about 6.0 you don't like... do like?? Haven't seen it here yet. Have you put a call pilot on one?

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back