Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading parallel port voltages in C 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

coombop

Programmer
Dec 12, 2007
CA
For a new project that i am doing as a part of a robotics competition, I am trying to find out how to read voltages off of the parallel port in C. I am familiar with the port itself but am a novice C programmer at best. The voltages have to be fairly accurate as they will be used for a thermocouple. Is this even possible?

1) Which chip - Motorola, Intel 8255 or something else.
2) Do you have an OS you're running on or is this some embedded system
3) If embedded system and Intel, is it memory mapped or I/O mapped

I am just going directly through the parallel port and the sensor is literally just a themocouple designed to report voltages to a computer. I am running XP on the machine that i am using. The only real question that I have is whether the parallel port will just report I/O or if it will report specific voltages.

The parallel port is a collection of binary lines (on or off).
Unless your thermocouple has an A2D converter with it I suspect you won't get very far.

TWB.

Trojan.

The other problem is that from XP, you cannot access the parallel port directly. Many articles on the net like will work for DOS/Win95/98/ME but not for NT, 2K, XP and Vista.

You can bypass this by using userport You should be OK as long as that PC is not connected to the net because it bypasses the built in security of NT/2K/XP to give you access to the parallel port. This could be exploited by malicious programs but if you're not connected to the net on that machine, it won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back