Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading incorrect processor speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffpta

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I have a duron 1200 which is read correctly by the bios but xp home reads it as 894. Is the clock speed set wrong? The board doesn't have the option to change clock speed and it appears to read it correctly.

Jeff

Where in XP did you find this information? I don't see any place where XP would actually measure this value. There is at least one place where the system builder can input this. There is at least 1 place where XP reads information off the proccessor - reads a bit of text that is - not measuring speed.

START, RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER, PROPERTIES, GENERAL TAB

Is this a laptop computer by any chance?

If not a laptop, I would guess that the multiplier or sytem buss speed is wrong, but you state that the bios detects it correctly. What type of motherboard is it? Are there any bios updates available?

If indeed it is a laptop the processor is stepped down to reduce battery consumption...if you change your power settings in the display properties to "always on" and apply changes...reboot your pc and you should have the system reading full processor speed. Your battery life will definitely be reduced.

E

If it is not a notebook, then perhaps is the CPU embedded in the main board...The ECS K7SEM has an option that has a CPU that is infact an 850 Duron, but it posts and performs as a 1200, and WinXP may be getting the CPU specs from the FSB and reporting it incorrecty/correctly as a 890 something. Does it post as a Duron 1200+ XP CPU? The CPU that is reported in the My Computer, General Tab is not placed there by the manufacturer, but is a function of the OS.

Here are a few links to the board:

This one is a place selling it, I have no involvement with them or their company, and am not trying to sell it, but am just using the link for purposes of showing the board.

-Mat

Yes Mat, I think your right. It does post as a 1200+. I really can't tell any difference in the performance, this is just a basic workstation. Everything works fine I just could not figure out the difference.

Thank you all,

Jeff

I don't know if you've gotten any additional information, but this processor is an overclocked 900. You paid for a 900 but you were told the CPU would work like a 1200. I don't know fair that is, especially when it's the mobo manufacturer (I believe) that is doing it.

I am in Canada and I recently bought one of these boards. It was cheap enough and relatively hassle free. I haven't yet really had a chance to see if I'm getting anything close to 1200+ performance, but like I've said before, you do get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back