Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading DVD (VOB files) into Premiere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houten

MIS
Aug 30, 2001
NL
Since a couple of weeks I try to find a way to import VOB files into the timeline in order to edit them again. Ploughing through newsgroups only end up with "try this" and "try that". I have downloaded several odd trial programs to get this to work but I end up in a swamp.

If you rename the VOB file into MPG then Premiere accepts it but there is no sound channel then. There is a tool like BESWEET to export VOB to MP3. this can be imported in Premiere then but then the sync between video and sound is lost.

Is there anyone who has experience to read VOB files?
So far I only found one editor that is capable to do so: Power Director. Importing VOB file results in a perfect clip which can be editted and written back to DVD without loss of quality. However, I prefer to use Premiere rather then spend another $150 only to read VOB files.

Please help!!

People have suggested Virtual Dub as a way to generate AVI files from MPEG etc, but I have not tried this myself.

i am having the same prob. i dont know how to import Vob(dvd) into AP' Pro. i tried to rename the VOB to .MPEG, and tried to import the file. but i couldnt do that either.

some1 please help!!

i have success with converting vob files to avi using nero
vision express and using the export feature to export as avi,
note you will get a black screen untill in premiere you interpret footage and change alpha channel to reverse,
ps. one side affect that may cause you problems unless you have a fast computer and lots of ram is since it is converted from a prerendered vob file it translates into an avi that has alot of file fragmentation that can not be defragmented thus plays very badly unless you have a drive empty that you use just for video rendering and even then its not perfect

How did you change Nero VE2 export to .avi? I looked yesterday and can't do it. Did you just save the file as xxxx.avi? I tried that and the quality tanked so bad, I couldn't use the clip.

VOB files are a combination of video (mpeg-2), audio and subtitle streams. Download VobEdit, start it, click open, browse to the first of the vob files and open it. Now click Demux, and select which streams you want, eg select demux all video and audio streams. Click ok, and indicate where you want the files to go. The result should be a .m2v file, which is MPEG-2 without audio, and an audio file, which format Premiere may or may not understand.

Try looking for a "DVD ripper" utility. Just like "ripping" a CD extracts the .cda files a .wav files, a DVD ripper util will extract .vob files into .avi

It depends on whether you want to go back to DVD or keep it as a video file (avi). If you want to end up with a compressed AVI file, I would recommend this route:

1. Rip the vobs with a ripper like DVD-decrypter or Smartripper. You can't just copy them over from the DVD.
2. Convert the vobs to a single "project" file using the free utility DVD2AVI.
3. Convert the project file to a virtual avi file using VFAPI Converter, another free utility.
4. This virtual avi file you can import into Virtual Dub (and maybe premier as well, I'm not sure. Then you can do what you want with them and export them to whatever format you want.

Somewhere along the way (the DVD2AVI step) you get an audio file from the vobs.

If you want to go back to DVD, I would just do the steps above and then convert back to mpg2 after it is edited.

There are easier ways of doing this, I'm sure, but this way gives you maximum control over each step.

Hope this helps.

natwod

I too was searching for a way to read VOB files and tried the suggestion to rename the file as MPG. I did and imported the file into Premiere Pro and Premiere 6.5 and the file contained both video and audio. Thanks.

ditto on the name change. Keep in mind that converting, editing, and authoring pieces of someone elses VOB files (aka copying dvd's) is generally not a grand idea.

However if you buy an easy to use program like "DVD-Fab" or something, just write the selected content out to a folder as opposed to a disc and the name change thing will work, although ac-3 5.1 may have problems.

OK,

This has stumped many people for a while, I too was trying to sort this import thing out for ages. Its anoying cause Vegas5 from sony does a grand job om importing .VOB files. however, if you want Premier Pro to import the files then you need to rip them correctly in the firstplace.

Firstly from the MODE menu in DVD Decrypter select IFO you can then select the chapters that you want to RIP from the DVD.

Once ripped change the file name from VOB to MPEG and you can import it into Premier Pro with Audio.

Hope this helps.

I am able to get the audio from the VOB by changing the extension to .MPEG and never had a problem with PPRO..

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back