Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading DLT tapes in a new SDLT drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

IainT

MIS
Nov 21, 2003
GB
We have just replaced our old ATL library (one DLT8000 drive) with a StorageTek L20 (one SDLT320 drive). I have configured the new library as DLT3 to match our other SDLT library.

My problem is reading the old DLT tapes in the new library - NBU doesn't view the DLT tapes as valid media for the new robot. Which means it won't mount the old tapes for a restore, giving the following error: "error requesting media (tpreq)(98)".

Is there a trick to making this work?

But are the tapes DLT3 ? The library is not going to load tapes maked as one type into a drive marked as something else.

No, but my understanding was that SDLT drives are backwards compatible with DLT, in that they can read DLT tapes...

Yes if you can get the tape into the drive it would be readable but all the library sees is tape type A and drives type B. it is not going to put a type A into a type B. The library does not know that they are compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back