Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading cc:Mail through Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2002
CA
I am having difficulty with reading cc:Mail using Outlook. It will cause an error & I have to shutdown Outlook. When this happens, I restart Outlook & I have to quickly get into Detect & Repair before the error shuts down the program.
Thank you for your time & consideration.

Hey WildWeasel,

How did you setup your Outlook with cc:Mail? I had similar trouble using VIM/cc:Mail with Outlook so I setup the POP3 server in cc:Mail. Then I setup all of our Outlook's to get mail from the cc:Mail POP3 server. The incoming POP3 server and the outgoing SMTP server use my cc:Mail server's name. It all works with no problem and is just like setting up Outlook to use an Internet web-based mail account. You can setup each account to either download the mail to the PC or leave it on the server.

HTH-
Hudman

Hello Hudman!
I looked into your suggestion but being not so familar with cc:Mail, where do you start with setting up a POP3 cc:Mail Server?
Any help from the wise is appreciated!

Weasel. Wild, that is.

First, check the folder where you have cc:Mail Admin installed and see if there is a folder called Pop3Serv. If not, you'll need to install Pop3 from the install CD. When it's installed on the server, it will install the Pop3 service listed in Services under Control Panel. That's another place you could also check to see if it's installed and running. If it is running, my guess is it probably is (I didn't setup my server - I inherited it already setup with Pop3 running), there's nothing more to configure. On the Outlook client, setup the client to use the Internet instead of cc:Mail. For the Pop3 and SMTP server, just use your cc:Mail server's name. My cc:Mail was installed on our server named NTSERVER - no slashes (\\)like in a UNC are needed. Once that is set up, it should download mail from the cc:Mail server. Hit F5 in Outlook to force it to start downloading if it doesn't start right away. There are also many other tweaks you need to make in the Outlook client under Tools - Options like how often to check for messages, etc. Also, one other thing you might want to consider is whether or not to leave the mail on the cc:Mail server or download it to the PC. It defaults to download it from the server which removes it completely from the cc:Mail server. The setting is under Accounts - Properties - Advanced.

One word of caution, cc:Mail can be used by idiots on the Internet as a SPAM junk mail relay. I just had to shut my cc:Mail server down due to it being used as a SPAM junk mail relay. Someone found out that our server could be used as a relay and started using it which brought the server to it's knees. After several days of trying to find a way to stop it and getting threating e-mails about being black listed, I found that cc:Mail up to version 8.4 has no way of not being a relay. Version 8.5 supposedly has a way to turn off the ability of being a mail relay. Of course we had version 8.3. I now use a local service for our e-mail and I'm looking into setting up a Linux server and using the free e-mail server Sendmail that comes with it. Good luck in setting up your Outlook clients!

Thanks Hudman!
Will give this a kick at the can.

WildWeasel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back