Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reading barcodes from my program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelaLee

Programmer
May 3, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,
Have a few questions for you all. I was given a HP Barcode Wand. I need to write code that can use this scanner to scan patient barcodes. This reader was given to me without any drivers. I was wondering if a driver would be needed for this type. Again it is from HP, I found a few numbers on the cable of the unit:
3606S
HBCS-1307
Uses a Serial Interface.
I have not seen any other markings. What do you think. I've added a comm control and tried using the scanner and nother come across the port. What do you all think. Thanks for any info that you can provide.
Michael Lee

Mike, I would suggest getting on Ebay and purchase a unit with a keyboard wedge. You can pick up the wands for a song, others for less than $50. I purchased a WelchAllyn 5400-B02 for $44 and a WelchAllyn 5700/A12 for $51. Much simpler method. There are others. I just went on ebay. There isn't as much available as there was last year. Try searching for Item number: 5110805448
jim

I agree with xaf294
you are going to spend a lot of time than to just buy something Ebay

DougP, MCP, A+

I disagree, i've just programmed my own software wedge for a serial barcode scanner. I'm releasing it as freeware as soon as i make some minor modifications to it, but until then, i can help you develop your own software wedge.

Till then, if you want to just see if the thing works, get a program called BcWedge and download the demo version, then see if it works.
You may need to play around with some of the settings such as the baud rate etc which you might find on the net. I've found that most are set to...
baud = 9600
data bits = 8
stop bits = 1
parity = none
flow control = none

If you need any extra help or information, just say the word :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back