Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reader and acrobat conflict 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btween

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
US
I have Acrobat 5.0 installed on my computer and ever since I installed reader 7.0 from the adobe website, my acrobat doesn't work. When I try to open a document with acrobat it automatically opens it with reader, so I don't have an option to edit the pdf or do anything with acrobat.

How can I keep reader from overtaking acrobat?

Also I created a bunch of pdfs in acrobat and when I open them with the newly installed reader they look extremely blurry. Any explanation for this would be great too?

thanks

For the first problem, you can reset your file associations. You don't say whether you are on a PC or Mac.

From the Help file in Win XP:

To associate a file with a program
Open My Computer.
Double-click a drive or folder.
Right-click a file, and then click Open With.
Under Programs, click the program in which you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program you want.

Check the Help files if you are on a Mac on how to associate files.

For the second problem, in Acrobat Reader go to Edit>Preferences>Page Display and ensure that all three 'smoothing' boxes are checked.

Thanks for the tip, but for the second part, the problem is not the smoothing. Apparently, what Acrobat considers 100%, reader considers 75% so when reader opens the document at 100% everything looks blurry, so i have to zoom down to 75% for it to look perfect. Unfotunately many people don't know how to use the zoom tool.

That's odd that the PDFs don't look their best at 100%. What did you create the PDFs from, and how did you do it?

When you open the PDF file In Windows Explorer, right click the file name and you can open in Acro Reader or Acrobat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back