Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read-only problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayyahma

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
MY
one of group with 3 user in my domain can open all
file with read-only permission in my nt 4 server that folder belong to them all .
before this they can read,write,delete,execute all file.
others user group did not had this problem.I can open the file without any problem but just this user group cannot save to any files because the files open as read-only

So have you checked the share and security permissions on the folder(s) concerned?

suddenly it's happen today i did not make any change to this user group.before this no problem for this files.
i try copy files from another location and put into their folder same things happen.

I try put the user into another group but still problem. all the user in the group can open as normal , only this user from the group got problem

Take ownership of the folder first.....
If this fails do a CHKDSK C: /F/V or where C: is the affected local drive and then reboot - note occasionally a CHKDSK can take a long time so do this out of hours!

Already Take ownership and Chkdsk nothing change and error.
All user can open the files as read only,
administrator can open the files without problem.

then the file permissions must be incorrectly set or the share permissions incorrectly set......

Hai,

The file permissions and the share permissions is correctly set,before this user can rd,wrt,dl,exec this files sunddenly they only can read-only the files,i did not make any change to this files accounts permission.

Tahnks

Are your clients running WinXP? I'm having a similar problem with NT4 and Win2000 servers and some XP Pro clients getting file permission errors accessing their personal folders on the server... If anyone has any ideas on this, please feel free to speak up....

Mike

My Clients using Win98 2nd edition .Someone please help us to solve this problem

Are your Win98 clients actually logging onto the domain? Or just onto the local box? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

My Win98 clients actually logging onto the domain to access files inside the server.

i know this sounds like a lame response, but did you try restarting your server. otherwise work through it in a logical manner removing users from groups, creating new groups, even creating new users. and double check the share and sharing permissions and security permissions of the directories and files again (two completely different things).

I already do as your help before this it's still got the same problem.
Today another users had the same problem ,sudeenly it happen.
more mistery for me and my partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back