Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read-only problem using a frame in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmanrAy

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
GB
I have created an excel 97 spread sheet which has a "microsoft forms 2.0 frame" on it. When I change the excel file to read-only (it's going to be used by multi users), the work sheet crashes with an acess violation.

Has anyone else come across this problem, any ideas on getting around it?

Cheers

Andrew

Have you checked the microsoft knowledgebase?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Yes I checked it out. Couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Andrew

Do you get an error message?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...

Hi Skip

This error occurs when I try to open the excel spread sheet.
I click OK and excel closes.

The instruction at "0x30155b77" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

I have tried it on a different machine and same problem.
If you have excel 97 and a bit of time, give it a bash.

Cheers

Andrew

I don't have 97 at the office.

Does this happen if you save the workbook as read only WITHOUT any embedded controls?

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip

It only happens when I add a Frame to the excel spread sheet, and set the file to read only. I've had a good browse on the web for any info on such a bug, but have come across nothing. Am a bit stumped, as I've spent a week creating an elaborate spread sheet with a few frames on it. Now when a user comes to open it, when it is being used by someone else, it crashes.

cheers

Andrew

Have you read up on WORKBOOK SHARING -- pros & cons/limitations?

Have you set the parameters for Workbook Sharing?

Skip,
[sub]

Also, when you refer to a frame, what do you actually mean? Is this a MS Excel 5.0 Dialog Frame that you design by inserting a dialog sheet?

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip

It's a "microsoft forms 2.0 frame" found in the Control Toolbox (excel 97). When I create a shared workbook with a "microsoft forms 2.0 frame" on it, it crashes.

Cheers

Andrew

Can you open 2 instances of this workbook yourself?

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip

I'm confused, how do you open two instances of the same workbook in excel?

Andrew

Hi Skip

Just tried opening two instances in two different excel sessions, and no I couldn't, the second one crashed.

I think this could be an excel bug.

cheers
Andrew

I can open 2 instances of a read-only workbook containing one frame.

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Skip

Are you using Excel 97. I've tested it using later versions and it works fine. It's just Excel 97 where it raises an error, with me.

Andrew

Sorry, I forgot. My 97 version is at home.

I'll have to try it this evening.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back