Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read-only files from network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2002
US
Hi,

I've got this problem since I change my OS for Windows 2000 (it was NT4). Whenever I try to open an MS-Office file stored on our network (runs Aix, access with Samba), Excel or Word see the file as Read-only. Coworkers with NT4 doesn't have this problem. Can someone help?

Thanks

Right click on the file and go to properties. Make sure Read-Only isn't ticked.

I am having exactly this problem.

The message is &quot;This file is currently in use by <user>.&quot; with the option to open in read only mode.

<user> in this case is the user currently logged in to the Win2K machine, trying to open the file!

Help! Anyone! Please!

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm experiencing the same issue.
Thanks.

What version of Office are you running? Have you tried searching for and applying any service packs?

I had this exact same problem with Office 97 a while back. Once I applied SR1 and SR2, the problem went away.

Regards

go to the file server and on my computer, right click and go to manage/shared folders/open files. Browse through here and see if you can see the problem file where the network is holding a connection to it by a user. Make sure the user is not actually using the file, then right click and close open file. Fingers crossed Thanks, Todd
When in doubt, kick 'er in the guts

There is a simple resolution to this problem (it has worked for us!)...

Try re-registering the applications. Go to
Start/Run and run the following:

winword /r
excel /regserver
powerpnt /regserver
msaccess /regserver

I hope this helps you!

Annelies

I re-registerded the office applications but the problem isn't solved..
Neither are the files marked as read only..
It has to be something with the connection to the server.. for some reason he won't drop the connection to that file even after 10min after the file is closed..
If the user open the file it goes into read only but when the user closes the file immediately and reopen it right away the read only is gone.. very weird things goin on here :)
the only thing that has changed is the hardware and the OS from W2K pro => XP pro.
I killed all the open connections/shares on the server and it whent good for a while but after an hour or so the problem popped up again.grmbl.

The problem I had was also on XP Pro apart from it was on a stand alone PC. Everytime I launched the file, it said it was in use by me.

Once I applied the service packs, problem was solved. Maybe this will work for your problem...?

Tim - I am not sure that you have resolved your problem, thus this message is for you. I am wondering if you have the proper permissions for the folder where the file is kept? Is it possible that you were not given full permissions? Maybe check the properties of the folder in addition to the word document itself. If you don't have the proper permissions, you should be able to find the owner of the folder on the properties tab...

Best of Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back