Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

READ-ONLY FILE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekyboo

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2002
BN
Occasionally my users encounter "read-only" file problem when opening their .doc in Word. Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

[ponytails2]

Two I can think of,

1. the document was already open by another user on the network and the second user opened it as read-only.

2. the document was copied from a cd using Windows Explorer and the read-only attribute was carried from cd to harddrive. Time flies when you don't know what you're doing...

What if the document is not shared in the network and was not copied from a CD? Because I am very sure it was a personal document and this user usually keeps his docs in a diskette.

[ponytails2]

When you check the file properties, is the "Read-only" attribute box checked?

Does the file open in "read only" without prompting, or does the user get the message "...should be opened as read-only unless..."? with a yes-no-cancel set of buttons?

I am also having this same problem. The computers are running Windows 2000 SP2 & SP3 with Office XP SP2 installed. The files are Word docs mostly created in Word 97 but are now being opened in Word 2002 or are being in Word 2002 on users Home directories and on department shared drives. The users do not receive any notification that the file is Read-only. When I check the properties of the file the read-only attribute is not checked. When a user experiences this problem they can close the file and open it just seconds later and it is not read-only. This problem is completely random. There is no rhyme or reason for this. Any help is appreciated. One final note, so far this is happening in only one department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back